Sunday, June 8, 2008

Oh those italian vendors by Molly Dee

Hey everybody, sorry for the lack of blogging. I've had quite a bit of difficulty figuring this beast out with all the foreign languages and such. It also doesn't help that i essentially ignored the invite thing back before we left. Thankfully, Sean S. has allowed me to sign in under his account to post this. I'd like to tell you about an experience i had in Florence (which was my favorite city by the way) outside of the famous Duomo. Grainne, Cate, and I all went down to the Duomo to climb the tower and on the way there we happened upon a couple of Italian vendors on the street selling prints. Grainne made the mistake of pointing at a painting and referring to it as "pretty". One particular vendor took advantage of the situation and proceeded to basically harass her into buying a print. The conversation went like this:

Vendor: Ah you want to buy print! i give it to you for 50 euro.
Grainne: No
V: ok for you 15!
G: No
V: You kiss me i give it to you free!
At this point Grainne briskly walked away... and the creepy vendor gave up.

Meanwhile, i approached the other vendor and said " hey you offered my friend 15 Euros for the print, hows about you give me one for 8?" He said yes! Woot for me!

So basically, Grainne got harassed and i got a neat print for 8 euros.
The end.
- Molly
P.S. Love you mama!

3 comments:

DSC said...

Great fun! Bargaining can be a hoot! Since you all are not blogging very much, we parents will definitely be expecting great details when you get back. Enjoy your last couple of days. Hope you all have a good trip back, too.

molzmom said...

That's my girl...it's that Irish "gift of gab". I am so excited for you to get home! I can't wait to hear all about your trip. Enjoy the last couple of days and be careful!

Love you sweetie!!!
Mama oxoxoxo

patty said...

Way to go Molly....next time I go to Mexico (never) you can go haggle for me.

See ya in the fall!
Patty